’Tis the season for celebrations! Bright lights, fun activities, and pretty decorations — no one wants this joyous time of year to be complicated by injuries and hospital visits. Here are our 6 top tips on how to keep safe this holiday season.
- Don’t overload light sockets. So many of the prettiest things this time of year require electricity to run. Get a power strip with a built-in circuit breaker and keep kids away from it.
- Be careful with tree ornaments and other things that are easy to break. Keep them out of reach of children and animals. Some kids can, with a few dozen reminders the first couple of days, learn to stay away from fragile items. If that doesn’t work, purchase a baby gate/play yard to protect the children and the items. If your child is helping you decorate, keep a close eye on her or him.
- Be careful with fireworks, candles, and fire! Even sparklers can be a hazard and cause eye injuries. Keep a close eye on children around fireworks and sparklers. Never leave a child unattended in the same room as a candle or an active fireplace.
- Keep mistletoe, holly berries, and poinsettias out of reach of children. They might be pretty, but they are all toxic if ingested.
- Read the safety information for everything that comes into your home. Make sure that toys are age-appropriate and the batteries are not easy to remove. When purchasing lights, look for a “UL Listed” mark. That mark guarantees that the lights have been tested to meet safety standards.
- Small toys can be ingested by tots (and pets). While you may know this, sometimes gifts from relatives and friends don’t realize what they have shipped, so being there when presents are opened is key. A good tool is an empty toilet paper or paper towel roll. If it can fit inside, toss it or keep it hidden until your child is older. Nothing is worth your child’s safety.
We wish you and yours a safe and happy holiday season!
By Bethanie Ryan